As part of the site clearance required for the new Sports Education Centre at Waikato Diocesan School for Girls, several sheds, workshops and relocatable offices were either demolished or removed totally from site. This left some mature oak trees and two old - and a little neglected – weatherboard buildings, once used as classrooms in a much-opened site.
These two buildings are historic; HCC ‘B-listed’ Sunshine Rooms built in the 1920’s, distinguished by enormous sliding timber doors to the outside, and in essence opening up a whole wall at each of these classrooms, necessitating sizeable timber struts to brace the building.
Redundant in use and also in their location, the Diocesan School Boards decided to re-purpose the Sunshine Rooms once more, and this time as sports pavilions for rowing and to open to the Tennis courts and Hockey pitch. Liaising with NZ Historic Places Trust and Hamilton City Council, PAUA devised a design that provided some architectural formality but also allowed for outdoor spectating and celebration in relation to specific sporting events.
Relocated, restored, repainted, insulated and heated, the Sunshine Rooms have been treated to on-going utility and relevance for the Diocesan School girls into the future.